- The United States has allowed Iraq to import Iranian gas for its power grid for another three months by extending a waiver to US sanctions.
- Iraq has had several extensions to the waiver after US reimposed sanctions on Iran’s oil sector forbidding countries from purchasing Iranian energy.
- Iraq relies heavily on Iranian energy for power supply to its deteriorating power grid that is in dire need of rehabilitation.
- Besides importing electricity from Iran,power plants in Iraq depends on Iranian natural gas to generate power.
- The US aims to put maximum economic pressure on Iran and through sanctions and it eventually aims to halt Iranian oil exports and thereby blocking its main source of revenue.
7 min read