- US envoy to China is on a visit to the Tibet autonomous region.This is the first visit to the region by a U.S. ambassador since 2015 amid escalating trade tension between China and the US.
- China tightly restricts access to Tibet by foreigners, especially journalists and diplomats.
- In response to that lack of access,the U.S Congress had passed the Reciprocal Access to Tibet Act which denies entry to the United States for anyone substantially involved in the formulation or execution of policies related to access for foreigners to Tibetan areas.
- China says Tibet has been part of its territory for centuries well before People’s Liberation Army (PLA) took control of it in 1950.But Tibetans say they were effectively an independent nation for most of that time.
- Further,China is accused of political and religious repression in the region but it insists that Tibetans enjoy extensive freedoms and economic growth.
- Since 2009, about 150 Tibetans have committed self-immolation in different parts of Tibet calling for the return of the Dalai Lama from his exile and improvement of human rights in Tibet.The Dalai Lama, the spiritual leader of Tibet had crossed the border into India following a failed uprising against Chinese rule in Tibet in 1959.
6 min read