- The United States has approved the deployment of additional troops to the West Asia against the backdrop of increasing tensions with Iran.
- This decision came amid allegations of Iranian attacks on two oil tankers in the Persian Gulf.
- The US has said that it does not seek conflict with Iran but the action had been taken to ensure the safety and welfare of US military personnel working throughout the region and to protect national interests.
- Tensions were further fuelled after Iran had announced that it will breach the limit on its stockpile of enriched uranium that was set under a 2015 nuclear deal with world powers.
- Iran has stepped up production in response to the US tightening sanctions.The 2015 nuclear deal from which the US has withdrawn had curbed Iran’s nuclear programme in exchange for the lifting of sanctions.
5 min read