- The US has announced that all applicants for US visas will have to submit their social media details under newly adopted rules.
- The rule to expand social media history data collection to all immigrant and non-immigrant visa applicants was first taken in April 2018.This decision was an outcome of US President desire to put in place a policy of extreme screening of foreigners entering the country.
- The US Visa applicants will have to submit social media names and five years worth of email addresses and phone numbers.However,certain diplomatic and official visa applicants will be exempt from the stringent new measures.
- Earlier,only applicants who needed additional screening such as people who had been to parts of the world controlled by terrorist groups would need to hand over this data.
- But now applicants will have to give up their account names on a list of social media platforms and also volunteer the details of their accounts on any sites not listed.
5 min read