- Recently,Tokyo has hosted the second U20 Mayors Summit.The summit took place one month ahead of the G20 Osaka Summit.
- Mayors of 30 major cities from across the world has urged the Global leaders to act fast on climate change, social inclusion and sustainable economic growth.
- The issues highlighted by the mayors and city governors will be represented in the United Nations-mandated sustainable development goals,the deadline of which is 2030.
- The mayors have also urged the G20 leaders to ensure greenhouse gas emissions reduce substantially by 2030 and reach net zero by 2050, ensure access to adequate housing to all populations.
- Urban 20 (U20) is an initiative developed in 2017 under the leadership of the Mayor of Buenos Aires and Mayor of Paris, and convened by the C40 Cities Climate Leadership Group (C40) in collaboration with United Cities and Local Governments (UCLG).
- U20 seeks to develop a joint position and collective messages to inform and enrich the discussions of national leaders at the G20 Summit through unique urban perspectives.
- Urban 20 is composed of 25 global cities: Beijing, Berlin, City of Buenos Aires, Chicago, Durban, Hamburg, Jakarta, Johannesburg, London, Los Angeles, Madrid, Melbourne, Mexico City, Milan, Montreal, Moscow, New York, Paris, Rio de Janeiro, Rome, São Paulo, Seoul, Sydney, Tokyo, and Tshwane.
Please follow and like us: