- The University Grants Commission (UGC) has prohibited imparting distance degree programmes in agriculture.The decision was taken by the UGC on the ground that a degree programme in agriculture is technical in nature as it requires practicals or laboratory courses.
- As per UGC Open and Distance Learning Regulations,2017 professional programmes such as medicine,engineering,architecture,nursing,dental, pharmacy and physiotherapy are not permitted to be offered in distance mode.
- The University Grants Commission of India (UGC India) is a statutory body set up by the Indian Union government in accordance to the UGC Act,1956 under Ministry of Human Resource Development.
- It is charged with coordination,determination and maintenance of standards of higher education.It provides recognition to universities in India and disburses funds to such recognised universities and colleges.
- In 2018,Ministry of Human Resource Development (HRD) has prepared a draft bill to repeal apex body University Grants Commission (UGC).The bill is named as Higher Education Commission of India (Repeal of University Grants Commission Act) Bill 2018.It provides for setting up of Higher Education Commission of India in place for UGC.
2 min read