- The University Grant Commission (UGC) has recommended the name of 20 institutions for the grant of the Institute of Eminence status.
- The Institute of Eminence scheme is a scheme of Ministry of Human Resource Development.
- It aims at developing 20 world-class teaching and research institutions. The regulatory architecture for the scheme has been provided through a) UGC (Declaration of Government Institutions as Institutions of Eminence) Guidelines, 2017 for public Institutions and b) UGC (Institutions of Eminence Deemed to be Universities) Regulations, 2017 for private Institutions.
- Those selected will be given greater autonomy and freedom to decide fees, course durations and governance structures.
- The public institutions will also receive a government grant of ₹1,000 crores over period of five years. However, the private institutions will not get any funding under the scheme.
- Previously, 3 public and 3 private institutions were selected under the scheme.
1 min read