- United Nations has designated Pakistan-based Jaish-e-Mohammad chief Masood Azhar as a global terrorist after China lifted its technical hold on his listing under the UNSC 1267 sanctions committee.
- The proposal to designate Masood Azhar was moved by France,UK and the US.It was the fourth such bid at the UN in the last 10 years to list Azhar as a global terrorist after China had repeatedly used its veto power to block the proposal.
- The reasons behind China withdrawing its technical hold are (a)post-Wuhan summit India China relations have improved and (b)combined efforts of the US,the UK and France has pushed China to change its mind.
- Masood Azhar is the chief of Pakistan-based terrorist organization Jaish-e-Mohammed.He has masterminded many terror attacks in India including 2001 Parliament strike and the recent Pulwama attack in February,2019.
- The UNSC 1267 Committee was established as a result of resolution 1267 (1999).If an individual or an organisation is included in the list,it leads to(a)countries to freeze the targeted group’s or individual’s assets (b)ban designated individuals from travelling and (c)prevent the supply of weapons, technology and other aid.
- The United Nations Security Council (UNSC) is one of the six principal organs of the United Nations.It is charged with the maintenance of international peace and security.
- The UN Security Council consists of fifteen members. Russia, the United Kingdom, France, China, and the United States—serve as the body’s five permanent members.The Security Council also has 10 non-permanent members, elected on a regional basis to serve two-year terms.
7 min read