News:UNESCO has announced that Mumbai and Hyderabad have been included in its network of UNESCO Creative Cities Network(UCCN).
- Mumbai has been designated as Creative City of Films and Hyderabad a Creative City of Gastronomy.
- Earlier,Chennai and Varanasi were included as UNESCO cities of music while Jaipur was included as the City of Crafts and Folk Arts.
About UNESCO Creative Cities Network(UCCN):
- The UNESCO Creative Cities Network (UCCN) is a project of the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization(UNESCO).
- It was launched in 2004 to promote cooperation among cities which recognized creativity as a major factor in their urban development.
- Currently,180 cities are part of this network which aims towards a common objective of placing creativity and cultural industries at the heart of their development plans at the local level and cooperating actively at the international level.
- The network covers seven creative fields namely (a)crafts and folk arts, (b)media arts (c)film (d)design (e)gastronomy (f)literature and (g)music.
- By joining the Network, cities commit to sharing their best practices and developing partnerships involving the public and private sectors as well as civil society.