News:The Union Cabinet has approved the creation of the 22nd Law Commission.
About Law commission:
- The Law Commission of India is a non-statutory body constituted by the Government of India every three years since 1955.
- The 21st Law Commission of India was established in 2015 and its tenure was upto 31st August,2018.
Composition of 22nd Law Commission:The commission will consist of the following members:
- a full-time Chairperson;
- four full-time Members (including Member-Secretary)
- Secretary, Department of Legal Affairs as ex-officio Member;
- Secretary, Legislative Department as ex officio Member; and
- not more than five part-time Members.
Functions of the commission:The Law Commission of India shall:
- Identify laws which can be immediately repealed
- Examine the existing laws in the light of Directive Principles of State Policy(DPSP) and suggest ways of improvement
- To respond to requests made by other countries in framing their legal system
- To make measures that shall help to serve the poor legally
- To convey to the Government its views on any subject relating to law and judicial administration when asked for.
- To revise laws so as to simplify them and remove anomalies, ambiguities and inequities.