- SHREYAS – Scheme for Higher Education Youth for Apprenticeship and Skills was launched by Ministry of Human Resource Development (HRD) in collaboration with the Ministry of Skill Developement and Entrepreneurship and Ministry of Labour and Employment.
- It aims to (a) To improve employability of students by introducing employment relevance into the learning process of the higher education system (b) To forge a close functional link between education and industry/service sectors on a sustainable basis (c)To provide skills which are in demand, to the students in a dynamic manner (d)To establish an ‘earn while you learn’ system into higher education (e)To help business/industry in securing good quality manpower and (f)To link student community with employment facilitating efforts of the Government.
- SHREYAS portal will enable educational institutions and industry to log in and provide their respective demand and supply of apprenticeship.
- The State Governments are expected to play a major role in securing apprenticeship opportunities, apart from the Sector Skill Councils, so that general degree students passing out can gain the option of industry & service sector apprenticeship.
- Sector Skill Councils are set up as autonomous industry-led bodies by National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC), which are responsible for the defining the skilling needs, concept, processes, certification, and accreditation of their respective industry sectors in accordance with National Skill Qualification Framework.
2 min read