News:During the 74th session of the United Nations (UN) General Assembly, the Indian Prime Minister has addressed the United Nations(UN) Climate Action Summit.
Highlights of the speech:
- Prime minister has reiterated India’s commitment to the creation of 175 GW renewable energy capacity by 2022 under the Paris Climate Agreement.
- He also said that India’s renewable energy target will be further increased to 450 GW by 2022.
- He said that India would spend approximately $50 billion in the next few years on the Jal Jeevan Mission to conserve water, harvest rainwater and develop water resources.
- He also said that more than 80 countries have joined the International Solar Alliance initiated by India.
New initiatives:The Prime Minister has also announced two new international initiatives.
- Leadership Group for Industry Transition: India and Sweden together with other countries have announced this initiative that will drive transformation in hard-to-decarbonize and energy-intensive sectors.
- Coalition for Disaster Resilient Infrastructure(CDRI): It will be an international partnership that will support countries- developed and developing- to build climate and disaster resilient infrastructure.
- The Coalition’s secretariat will be based in Delhi.It will facilitate knowledge exchange, provide technical support and support capacity building.