- The US administration has been persuading India to cancel the Russian S-400 missile defence system.
- The US has raised a range of concerns over the deal such as systems interoperability to long-term worries over strategic partnership choices.
- US officials have also indicated that the US is ready to sell India platforms such as its Terminal High Altitude Area defence(THAAD) and Patriot-3 missiles defence systems if India cancels the S-400 deal.
- However,US persuasion comes in the backdrop of (a)US stopping India from buying oil from Iran (b)US withdrawal of the Generalised System of Preferences(GSP) (c)Tighter norms for H1-b visas which undermine the mutual pledge to elevate the relationship between the two countries.
- S-400 Triumf Missile System is a mobile, surface-to-air missile system (SAM).It is capable of engaging aircraft, UAVs,cruise missiles and has a terminal ballistic missile defense capability.It has an operational range of over 400 kms.
- The S-400 Triumf is known as the SA-21 Growler by the North Atlantic Treaty Organisation(NATO).NATO members consider the S-400 a major threat because of its long range.
6 min read