- The Vice President of India has called for protecting the indigenous Ongole cattle breed.He has said this while releasing a Compendium on Ongole cattle breed at the Swarna Bharat Trust in Vijayawada,Andhra Pradesh.
- Ongole cattle is an indigenous cattle breed that originates from Prakasam District in the state of Andhra Pradesh.The breed derives its name from the place the breed originates from Ongole.
- Ongole cattle are known for their toughness,rapid growth rate and natural tolerance to tropical heat.It was the first Indian breed of cattle to gain worldwide recognition.
- Further,Ongole breed of cattle has a great demand as it is said to possess resistance to both foot and mouth disease and mad cow disease.
- These cattle are commonly used in bull fights in Mexico and some parts of East Africa due to their strength and aggressiveness.They also participate in traditional bull fights in Andhra Pradesh and Tamil Nadu.
6 min read