- The Punjab and Haryana High Court will launch its first virtual court (e-court) to deal with traffic challan through video conferencing.
- This initiative will do away with the need for the litigant to be present in the court and facilitate adjudication of the case online.
- It will benefit all the stakeholders in the justice delivery system by reducing the backlog of cases.The entire process of disposal will happen online in a few hours.
- The E-Courts Project was conceptualised on the basis of National Policy and Action Plan for Implementation of Information and Communication Technology (ICT) in the Indian Judiciary in 2005.
- The e-courts Project is a Pan-India Project.It is monitored and funded by the Department of Justice,Ministry of Law for the District Courts across the country.
- The main objectives of the e-Court Project are (a)To provide efficient & time-bound citizen centric service delivery (b)To develop,install & implement decision support systems in courts (c)To automate the processes to provide transparency of Information access to its stakeholders and (d)To enhance judicial productivity and to make the justice delivery system affordable, accessible and cost effective.
2 min read