News: Kerala state government has recently announced Kerala Fibre Optic Network project
About Kerala Fibre Optic Network project
- The project aims to provide free high-speed internet connection to around 20 lakh families below the poverty line in the state.
- The scheme will be set up by Kerala State Electricity Board Limited and Kerala State IT Infrastructure Limited. Internet service providers and cable television operators can also join the optic-fibre network project to provide their services.
- The financial assistance for the project will be provided by Kerala Infrastructure Investment Fund Board.
- The fibre optic network project will be completed by December 2020.
Internet Penetration in India
- According to Internet and Mobile Association of India (IAMAI), report, titled ‘India Internet 2019’, Delhi NCR has the highest internet penetration (69%) followed by Kerala (54%).
- The lowest penetration rate was in Odisha (25), Jharkhand (26) and Bihar (28).
- The IAMAI report also notes that Kerala, Tamil Nadu and Delhi have the highest proportion of female Internet users.
- Further, TRAI data as of June 2019 show that Kerala is well-placed in terms of Internet connections. It stands fourth among all telecom service areas in terms of Internet subscriptions per 100 population, behind Delhi, Punjab and Himachal Pradesh
Note: Internet penetration rate (defined as number of individuals aged above 12 per 100 population who accessed the Internet in the last month; survey period January-March 2019).