News:The Forest department has organised an awareness rally to launch Wildlife Week India.
About Wildlife week:
- The Wildlife Week is celebrated all over the country every year between 2nd October and 8th October.
- The aim of this week is to preserve animal life in India.
- The event is organized by National Board of Wildlife since its establishment in 1972.
- The theme of this year’s event is “Life Below Water:For people and planet”.
- The events are organized to teach people about animal life and encourage them to save a large number of animals by not killing them for food and other purposes.
About National Board of Wildlife:
- The NBWL has been constituted under the Wildlife Protection Act,1972.
- NBWL advises the government on policy and strategy for wildlife conservation.
- It also reviews proposals for non-forestry use of forestland within National Parks and Wildlife Sanctuaries and issue or deny permissions.
- The NBWL is chaired by the Prime Minister.It also comprises of a Standing Committee headed by Union Environment Minister.
- The Wildlife Protection Act,1972 specifies that the committee should comprise of 10 eminent ecologists and five NGOs.The committee considers the merits of projects that come to it for scrutiny.