- A survey conducted in the Meghamalai Wildlife Sanctuary has rediscovered Xylophis indicus, species of wood snake. It is endemic to the Meghamalai forests and the Periyar Tiger Reserve landscape.
- The species of the wood snake was last spotted and documented in 1878 by Colonel Richard Henry Beddome, a British military officer and naturalist.
- The Meghamalai wildlife sanctuary is located in Western Ghats in Theni District, Tamil Nadu. It shares its boundaries with Srivilliputhur Grizzled Squirrel Sanctuary and Periyar Tiger Reserve
- The Periyar Tiger Reserve lies in the Western Ghats in the Idukki District, Kerala. The reserve lies along the watershed of the Periyar and Pamba rivers. In 1978, the Periyar sanctuary was declared as a Tiger Reserve under Project Tiger.
- The Grizzled Squirrel Wildlife Sanctuary (GSWS), also known as Srivilliputhur Wildlife Sanctuary is located in the districts of Virudhunagar and Madurai of Tamil Nadu.
1 min read