News:Union Minister of Textiles is participating in the World Cotton Day being observed from 7th October to 11th October 2019 in Geneva.
About World Cotton Day:
- World Cotton Day is organized by the World Trade Organisation (WTO) in collaboration with the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO), the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD), the International Trade Centre(ITC) and the International Cotton Advisory Committee (ICAC).
- WTO is hosting the event at the request of the four Cotton countries namely Benin, Burkina Faso, Chad and Mali.
- The objective of World Cotton Day is to give exposure and recognition to cotton and all its stakeholders in production, transformation and trade and promote research and development on cotton.
India and World Cotton day:
- Cotton Corporation of India (CCI) will be displaying various grades of raw cotton such as SUVIN which has the finest quality of Extra Long Staple Cotton produced in Tamil Nadu.
- Further,natural coloured cotton that is grown in Dharwad in the state of Karnataka in different colours like dark brown, medium brown, green and cream colours will also be on display.
- Cotton is a global commodity that is produced all over the world and a single tonne of cotton provides year-round employment for five people on average.
- Cotton is a drought – resistant crop ideal for arid climates.It occupies just 2.1 % of the world’s arable land yet it meets 27% of the world’s textiles need.
- In addition to its fibre used in textiles and apparel, food products are also derived from cotton like edible oil and animal feed from the seed.
About Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO):
- The FAO is a specialized agency of the United Nations that leads international efforts to defeat hunger.
- It is headquartered in Rome,Italy.
- The goal of FAO is to achieve food security for all and make sure that people have regular access to enough high-quality food to lead active, healthy lives.
- UNCTAD is a permanent intergovernmental body established by the United Nations General Assembly in 1964.
- It is headquartered in Geneva, Switzerland and part of the UN Secretariat.
- It was formed specifically to handle the problems of developing countries dealing with trade, investment and development issues.
- The various other reports published by UNCTAD are (a) World Economic Situation and Prospects Report (b) Trade and Development Report (c)World Investment Report (d) The Least Developed Countries Report, (e) Information and Economy Report (f) Technology and Innovation Report and (g) Commodities and Development Report.
About International Trade Centre (ITC):
- International Trade Centre (ITC) is the joint agency of the World Trade Organization and the United Nations.It was established in 1964.
- It is the only development agency that is fully dedicated to supporting the internationalization of small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs).
Cotton Corporation of India
- The Cotton Corporation of India (CCI) was established in the year 1970 under the administrative control of Ministry of Textiles, Government of India as a Public Sector Undertaking under the Companies Act 1956.