News: World Standards Day is being celebrated on October 14,2019.
About World Standards Day:
- World Standards Day(WSD) is celebrated each year all over the world on 14 October.
- This day was chosen after the delegates from 25 countries gathered in London in 1946 to create an international organization that focuses on facilitating standardization.
- The aim of the day is to raise awareness among regulators, industry and consumers as to the importance of standardization to the global economy.
- The theme for 2019 is “Video Standards create a global stage”.
- In India, the World Standard Day was celebrated by the Bureau of Indian standards(BIS).
- The Bureau of Indian Standards(BIS) is the National Standard Body of India established under the BIS Act 2016.It works under the aegis of Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Food & Public Distribution.
- It aims for harmonious development of the activities of standardization, marking and quality certification of goods and for matters connected therewith or incidental thereto.
- BIS has been providing traceability and tangibility benefits to the national economy in a number of ways by (a)Providing safe reliable quality goods (b)Minimizing health hazards to consumers (c)Promoting exports and imports substitute and (d)Control over the proliferation of varieties through standardization, certification and testing.