News:Prime Minister will inaugurate the Third Global Potato Conclave at Gandhinagar in Gujarat.
About the Conclave:
- The Conclave is being organized by Indian Potato Association(IPA) in collaboration with Indian Council of Agricultural Research and ICAR Central Potato Research Institute and the International Potato Center (CIP),Lima,Peru.
- The Partner Country for this conclave is Netherlands.
- The aim of the Conclave is to provide an opportunity to bring all stakeholders at one common platform.This will enable the stakeholders to chalk out future plans for the potato sector.
- Potato is the third most important food crop in the world after rice and wheat in terms of human consumption.
- Its importance led to the official declaration of the year 2008 as the International Year of the Potato by the United Nations.
- Gujarat is leading producers of potato in India with a productivity of more than 30t/ha.The state uses modern methods of agriculture like sprinkler and drip irrigation for cultivation.
About Operation Green:
- Operation Green was announced by the Union government in the Budget 2018-2019.
- Aim:It seeks to stabilize the supply of Tomato, Onion and Potato (TOP) crops and to ensure the availability of TOP crops throughout the country round the year without price volatility.
- This can be achieved through promoting farmer producers organisations, agri-logistics, processing facilities and professional management.
- Ministry:Ministry of Food Processing Industries will be the Nodal Ministry.NAFED is the agency to implement price stabilisation measures.