News: Union Home Ministry has warned states about the vulnerability of the Android operating system to a bug called ‘StrandHogg’. It is a vulnerability in Android devices that allows malware to hijack legitimate apps.
About Malware: Malware (malicious software) refers to any kind of software that is designed to cause damage to a single computer, server or computer network
Common Types of Malware:
- Bot: software programs created to automatically perform specific operations.
- Ransomware: malware that prevents users from accessing their system or personal files and demands ransom in order to regain access
- Spyware: Malware that functions by spying on user activity without their knowledge
- Trojan horse: malware that disguises itself as a normal file or program to trick users into downloading and installing malware.
- Virus: malware that is capable of copying itself and spreading to other computers.
- Indian Cyber Crime Coordination Centre (I4C): It was launched in 2018 to combat cybercrime in India. It functions under the Ministry of Home Affairs. It has important components like the National Cybercrime Threat Analytics Unit, National Cybercrime Reporting Portal and National Cybercrime Forensic Laboratory Ecosystem
- Cyber Swachhta Kendra (Botnet Cleaning and Malware Analysis Centre): It provides for the detection of malicious programs and free tools to remove such programs.
- Cyber Surakshit Bharat Yojna: It was launched by the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology in association with National e-Governance Division (NeGD) and private players. It includes awareness programs on cybersecurity; workshops on best practices and enablement of the officials with cybersecurity health tool kits.