News:In Budget 2020,the Finance Minister has announced a National Mission on Quantum Technologies & Applications(NM-QTA).
About the Quantum Technology:
- Quantum Technology is based on the principles of quantum theory, which explains the nature of energy and matter on the atomic and subatomic level.
- Quantum principles can be used for engineering solutions to extremely complex problems in computing, communications, sensing, chemistry, cryptography, imaging and mechanics.
- However,the Quantum field has not yet matured for commercialization, due to the extreme scientific challenges involved.
About the mission:
- The mission will be implemented for a period of 5 years by the Department of Science & Technology (DST).
- The mission aims to address the ever increasing technological requirements of the society and take into account the international technology trends for development of next generation technologies.
- It will also help prepare next generation skilled manpower, boost translational research and also encourage entrepreneurship and start-up ecosystem development.