News:The Australian government might declare Koalas as an endangered species after the population animal suffered an extraordinary hit in the devastating bushfires.
- Koalas is a tree-dwelling marsupial animal endemic to Australia.They are listed as vulnerable under the IUCN Red list.
- They have exceptional parental care and strange eating habits as they eat the leaves of eucalyptus that would be toxic or even fatal to most mammals.
- They are threatened due to habitat destruction, climate change & severe weather events.
- Marsupials are those animals which are born in an incomplete state.
- They have a short-lived placenta that nourishes their young for just a few days before they’re born, the rest of their nutrition coming from the mother’s teats inside the pouch.
- Instead of the placenta,the mother’s milk nourishes the young and allows it to grow and develop.