- The Maharashtra State government has announced that it will launch an app to track citizens’ carbon footprint. The aim is to reduce pollution and carbon emission in Maharashtra.
- The app will be able to count the everyday carbon emission of a citizens and suggest measures to reduce it depending on the count. Those who achieve an emission neutral status will also be rewarded
- The footprints of an individual, as per the app, will include his use of electricity, air conditioning, kitchen activities among others.
- Carbon footprint is the amount of carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions associated with all the activities of a person or other entity
- As a commitment to the Paris Agreement on Climate Change, India has pledged to reduce the carbon emissions intensity of its GDP by 33% to 35% by 2030 from 2005 level
5 min read