- The one among the various weapons used by the Indian Air Force at its target in Balakot,Pakistan were Israeli-developed SPICE-2000.
- SPICE stands for Smart, Precise Impact, Cost Effective.The bomb comes from a family of standoff air-to-ground weapon systems.
- SPICE is basically an electro-optical/GPS guidance kit to convert air dropped unguided bombs into precision guided ‘Smart’ bombs.
- Each bombs computer memory can be pre-fed with scores of different targets with mix of satellite images and geographical coordinates for drop and target capability.SPICE has an all weather day and night capability based on its advanced electro optical and infra-red seekers as well as digital scene matching area correlators(DSMAC).
- Once a pilot releases SPICE outside the threatened area, the bomb automatically performs midcourse navigation using its GPS and accurately homes in on the exact target. During the himing phase, the weapon locates the target using ‘scene-matching technology’ and then uses the tracker to hit it.
2 min read