News:Department of Telecommunications(DoT) has launched ‘5G Hackathon’ in association with the Government, academia and Industry Stakeholders.
About ‘5G Hackathon’:
- The Hackathon aims at shortlisting India’s cutting edge ideas that can be converted into workable 5G products and solutions.
- It is open to developers, start-ups, Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs), academic institutions & registered companies in India and NRIs.
- 5G is the fifth cellular technology that succeeds generation of mobile networks namely a) 1G which delivered analog voice b) 2G introduced digital voice c) 3G brought mobile data and d) 4G LTE ushered in the era of mobile Internet.
- The 5G technology will provide a quantum leap over 4G in terms of speed, peak data rate, latency, spectrum efficiency and connection density.
- It will provide a download speed of 1 Gbps which is at least 100 times the existing data speeds.
- Further,it will also have a wider area in the frequency spectrum (range of frequencies) that will ensure no network congestion.