News:According to the Economic Survey,a sum of Rs 343 crore has been released under the Green India Mission (GIM) for undertaking afforestation activities.However,data for afforestation undertaken under GIM from Parliamentary questions paint a different picture.
About Green India Mission(GIM):
- Launched in 2015 by the Ministry of Environment, Forest & Climate Change.
- It is one of the eight missions launched under the National Action Plan on Climate Change(NAPCC)
- Aim:To increase green cover in India to the extent of five million hectares (mha) and improve the quality of existing green cover on another 5 mha.
- It also aims to improve ecosystem services like carbon sequestration, hydrological services and biodiversity and provisioning services like fuel, fodder, and timber and non-timber forest produces.
- It also has a target to increase forest-based livelihood income for about three million households.