News: Environment Pollution (Prevention & Control) Authority(EPCA) has directed Delhi and neighbouring States to implement Graded Response Action Plan(GRAP) from 15th October 2020.
- Graded Response Action Plan(GRAP): It is a set of stratified actions that are taken once the pollution level reaches a certain specified limit.
- When was it notified? The action plan was notified in 2017 for Delhi and the National Capital Region(NCR).
- Who prepared it? The Supreme Court had mandated the Environmental Pollution Control Authority (EPCA) to come up with such a plan.
- Overview of Action Plan:
- The plan requires action and coordination among 13 different agencies in Delhi, Uttar Pradesh, Haryana and Rajasthan (NCR areas).
- It includes the measures to prevent worsening of Air Quality of Delhi-NCR (National Capital Region) and prevent PM10 and PM2.5 levels to go beyond ‘moderate’ national Air Quality Index (AQI) category.
- EPCA is mandated to enforce the Action Plan as per the pollution levels.
- EPCA: It is a Supreme Court mandated body tasked with taking various measures to tackle air pollution in Delhi NCR.It was constituted in 1998 under the provisions of the Environment (Protection) Act,1986.
- Air Quality Index: It classifies air quality of a day considering criteria pollutants through colour codes and air quality descriptor.The index measures eight major pollutants namely, particulate matter (PM 10 and PM 2.5), nitrogen dioxide, sulphur dioxide, ozone, carbon monoxide, ammonia and lead.