News:According to a report,Gaur (Bos Gaurus) has returned to Bihar’s Valmiki Tiger Reserve(VTR) due to an increase in grassland cover.
About Gaur(Indian Bison):
- The gaur also called the Indian bison is the largest extant bovine.It is native to South Asia and Southeast Asia.
- The local names of the Gaur are a) Seladang — Malaysia b) Pyoung — Myanmar and c) Gayal or mithun — domesticated form of gaur.
- It is the State animal of Goa.
- Listed as Vulnerable under IUCN Red List.
- CITES- Appendix I
- Threats: a) Hunting for consumption b) Loss of suitable habitat and c) contract diseases transmitted by domestic cattle.
About Valmiki Tiger Reserve:
- Valmiki National Park, Tiger Reserve and Wildlife Sanctuary is located at the India-Nepal border in the West Champaran district of Bihar on the bank of river Gandak.
- It is the only National park and Tiger Reserve of Bihar.