News:Haryana Assembly has passed the Haryana Panchayati Raj (Second Amendment) Bill, 2020 with the aim to increase the accountability of Panchayats to voters.
Key Highlights of the Bill:
- Right to Recall: The bill provides for the right to recall members of Panchayati Raj institutions to those who elected them.
- Procedure: To recall a sarpanch and members of the two bodies, 50% members of a ward or gram sabha have to give in writing that they want to initiate proceedings.
- This will be followed by a secret ballot in which their recall will require two-third members voting against them.
- Women Reservation: The bill gives women 50% reservation in these rural bodies.
- OBC Reservation: It also provides for the 8% reservation to the “more disadvantaged” among the Backward Classes.
- Right to Recall – It is a process through which the electorate has the power to remove the elected officials before the expiry of their usual terms.