- The Institute of Life Sciences(ILS) has successfully developed antibodies against the Chikungunya virus(CHIKV) infection.
- The antibodies were developed following decade-long research on the CHIKV infection at the ILS laboratory.
- With no prior antibodies reported against CHIKV,the group was the first to develop antibodies against the non-structural proteins – nsP1,nsP3 and nsP4 of CHIKV.
- This development is significant as it will help researchers who are working on CHIKV infection to understand the various aspects of virus pathogenesis.
- This will also pave the way for the development of antiviral drugs and control strategies against the infection.
- Chikungunya is a viral disease which is transmitted to humans by infected mosquitoes especially through Aedes aegypti and Aedes albopictus species of mosquitoes.
- These mosquitoes can be found biting throughout daylight hours though there may be peaks of activity in the early morning and late afternoon.It causes fever and severe joint pain.
- ILS is a premier research organization founded through a public–private partnership initiative in the year 2004.ILS has been accorded recognition as a Scientific & Industrial Research Organization(SIRO) by the Ministry of Science & Technology,Govt of India.
8 min read