News:The India Meteorological Department (IMD) released a new list of names of tropical cyclones over the north Indian Ocean.
- The World Meteorological Organization maintains rotating lists of names which are appropriate for each Tropical Cyclone basin.
- The naming of the tropical cyclones over the north Indian Ocean basin started in 2004.
- The Regional Specialized Meteorological Centre (RSMC) of Tropical Cyclones in New Delhi is responsible for naming the cyclones in the northern Indian ocean region.
- The eight countries along the Bay of Bengal and Arabian Sea suggest names that are sequentially listed. The nations suggest names alphabetically – Bangladesh, India, Maldives, Myanmar, Oman, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Thailand.
Significance of naming cyclones:
- It helps in the quick identification of storms in warning messages
- Names are presumed to be far easier to remember than numbers and technical terms.
- Giving names to storms makes it easier for the media to report on tropical cyclones,
- heightens interest in warnings and increases community preparedness