News:International Institute of Information Technology(IIIT) Hyderabad has built the first-ever Indian brain atlas named IBA100.
About Brain Atlas:
- A brain atlas is a brain map or a template which becomes the ‘standard’ against which brain abnormalities can be measured.
- The first digital human brain atlas was created by the Montreal Neurological Institute(MNI).This brain atlas was based on the Caucasian brain template.
About Indian Brain Atlas:
- The India-specific brain atlas was created by using the Magnetic Resonance Imaging(MRI) scans of 50 individuals of different genders.It has been named as IBA100.
- The Indian atlas was validated against other atlases for various populations.
- The study about Indian Brain Atlas have revealed that the Indian brain is smaller compared to others.
- It is smaller in height, width, and volume compared to the western and eastern populations.
Significance of Brain Atlas:
- The brain atlas helps researchers compare findings from different brain imaging methods like Magnetic Resonance Imaging(MRI) and functional MRI(fMRI) or between healthy and diseased brain states or across individuals.
- This study will also help in the early diagnosis of brain diseases like Alzheimer’s.