News: 3rd Generation Partnership Project (3GPP) (the mobile communications standards body) has approved NavIC to be included in mobiles along with GPS
Indian Regional Navigation Satellite System (IRNSS): NavIC
- IRNSS (NavIC) is an independent regional navigation satellite system developed by the Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO).
- It provides accurate position information service to users in India as well as the region extending up to 1500 km from its boundary which is its primary service area
- The space segment consists of the IRNSS constellation of eight satellites, NavIC
- Types of Services:
- Standard Positioning Service (SPS): It will be provided to all the users.
- Restricted Service (RS): It is an encrypted service that will be provided only to authorized users (military and security agencies).
- Terrestrial, Aerial and Marine Navigation
- Disaster Management
- Vehicle tracking and fleet management
- Integration with mobile phones
- Precise Timing
- Mapping and Geodetic data capture
- Terrestrial navigation aid for hikers and travelers
- Visual and voice navigation for drivers.
Global Positioning System (GPS): It is a U.S.-owned satellite-based radio navigation system that provides users with positioning, navigation, and timing (PNT) services
Other global GNSS systems: GLONASS (Russia), Galileo (EU), BeiDou (China).