News: UNFCC CoP25 concluded in Madrid, Spain
- No agreement on carbon markets: No agreement was reached on Article 6 of the Paris Agreement which enables the Sustainable Development Mechanism (SDM) as a new carbon market instrument for the period after 2020
- Climate Change Performance Index (CCPI), 2020: The index developed by Germanwatch, New Climate Institute and Climate Action Network (CAN), ranked the USA and Saudi Arabia as topmost polluters. India was ranked 9th.
- “Ocean deoxygenation: Everyone’s problem”: The report by IUCN noted that levels of oxygen in the oceans fell by around 2% from 1960 to 2010.
- Global Climate Risk 2020 report: The report by Greenwatch, ranked Japan, the Philippines, and Germany at the top for overall climate vulnerability in 2018. India was ranked 5th.
- Global Carbon Budget 2019: In 2018, the global carbon dioxide emissions were dominated by emissions from China (28%), the USA (15%), the EU (9%) and India (7%)
- Launch of Platform of Science-based Ocean Solutions: It aims to enhance the sharing of knowledge created by various actors in the ocean and climate community to advance ocean-climate action.
- State of Global Climate Report 2019: Released by World Meteorological Organization’s (WMO), the report noted that the global average temperature in 2019 (January to October) was about 1.1 degrees Celsius above the pre-industrial period.
- Emission Gap Report: UNEP released Emission Gap Report which noted that at the current pace, the world is heading for a 3.2°C temperature rise.
- Climate Ambition Alliance: 73 countries joined the Climate Ambition Alliance which was launched by Chile in September 2019. It aims to accelerate the transformation needed to meet the goals of the Paris Agreement.