News: Lok Sabha Speaker has nominated 15 MPs as associate members to assist the Delimitation Commission in redrawing the Lok Sabha and the Assembly constituencies of Assam, Arunachal Pradesh, Manipur, Nagaland and the J&K Union Territory.
- Delimitation: It refers to the act or process of fixing limits or boundaries of territorial constituencies in a country or a province having a legislative body.
- Process of Delimitation: Under Article 82, the Parliament enacts a Delimitation Act after every Census.Once the Act is in force,the Union government sets up a Delimitation Commission.
- In India, Delimitation Commissions have been constituted 4 times – in 1952 under the Delimitation Commission Act,1952, in 1963 under Delimitation Commission Act,1962, in 1973 under Delimitation Act,1972 and in 2002 under Delimitation Act, 2002.
- Delimitation Commission: It is appointed by the President of India and works in collaboration with the Election Commission of India.
- Composition: Retired Supreme Court judge, Chief Election Commissioner and Respective State Election Commissioners.
- Associate members: Members of Parliament and Legislative Assemblies of states for which the Delimitation Commission is set up, are nominated as associate members to help the commission in its task.
- Powers: The Delimitation Commission is a high power body whose orders have the force of law and cannot be called in question before any court.