News:Malware Smominru whose incidence was first reported in 2017, continues to infect computers in a big way.
- The malware attacks infrastructure in a widely distributed and complex way making it unlikely to be taken down easily.
- The botnet relies on more than 20 dedicated servers mostly located in the US, Malaysia and Bulgaria.
- It is affecting nearly 4,700 computers every day with over 90,000 computers affected globally in August 2019.
- In its post-infection phase,it steals victim credentials and installs a Trojan module to propagate inside the network.
- The malware also seems to have the ability to come back to hit the old victims if they fail to tackle the problem completely.
- Malware which means malicious software refers to any kind of software that is designed to cause damage to a single computer, server or computer network
- It is an umbrella term used to refer to a variety of forms of hostile or intrusive malicious software including computer viruses, worms, Trojan horses, spyware, and ransomware among others.
- The term botnet is derived from the words robot and network.A bot in this case is a device infected by malware which then becomes part of a network of infected devices controlled by a single attacker or attack group.
- The botnet malware typically looks for vulnerable devices across the internet, rather than targeting specific individuals, companies or industries.