News:Union Minister of State for Culture and Tourism has flagged off the first ever Mobile Science Exhibition (SCIENCE EXPLORER) for the Ladakh Region in Leh.
Mobile Science Exhibitions:
- Mobile Science Exhibitions(MSE) are basically science exhibitions on buses based on various themes of science and technology.
- The exhibitions are organized by the National Council of Science Museums(NCSM).
- Aim:To communicate science in rural areas.These buses target the population which is unable to visit any of the science centre of NCSM
- The mission of the exhibition is ‘If the people cannot visit the museum, let the museum visit the people at their doorsteps.’
- The topics chosen for these exhibitions are (a)Measurement (b) Machines in everyday life (c)Food & Health (d)Chemistry & Life with a focus on Water (e)Energy (f)Hygiene & Sanitation and (g)Space Science for Human Welfare.
- The First MSE was launched by Birla Industrial and Technological Museum (BITM),Kolkata in the year 1965.
National Council of Science Museums (NCSM):
- The National Council of Science Museums (NCSM) was established in 1978 as a central coordinating agency for national science museums.
- It is an autonomous organization under the Ministry of Culture, Govt. of India.
- It is primarily engaged in ‘Communicating Science to Empower People’ through its network of twenty-five Science Centres/Museums spread across India
- It is also the world’s largest network of science centres and museums that functions under a single administrative umbrella.