News: NASA has managed to fix its Voyager-2 probe remotely, almost 11.5 billion miles away from its location.
- Voyager 2 was launched by NASA in 1977.
- Voyager 2 is the only spacecraft to study all four of the solar system’s giant planets (Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune.) at close range.
- Voyager 2 discovered a 14th moon at Jupiter.
- Voyager 2 was the first human-made object to fly past Uranus.
- At Uranus, Voyager 2 discovered 10 new moons and two new rings.
- Voyager 2 was the first human-made object to fly by Neptune.
- At Neptune, Voyager 2 discovered five moons, four rings, and a “Great Dark Spot” – a huge spinning storm in the southern atmosphere of Neptune which was about the size of the entire Earth.
- Second spacecraft to enter interstellar space (November 2019). The first spacecraft to do so was Voyager 1 in 2012.