News: NITI Aayog will virtually launch the India Component of the Nationally Determined Contributions(NDC)–Transport Initiative for Asia(TIA).
- NDC Transport Initiative for Asia (NDC-TIA): The initiative aims to promote a comprehensive approach to decarbonize transport in India, Vietnam and China over the period 2020-24.
- Supported by: It is supported by the International Climate Initiative (IKI) of the German Ministry for the Environment and Nature Conservation and Nuclear Safety(BMU).
- Implementation: It is implemented by seven organisations namely: Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit(GIZ) , International Council on Clean Transportation(ICCT), World Resources Institute(WRI), International Transport Forum(ITF),Agora Verkehrswende (AGORA), Partnership on Sustainable, Low Carbon Transport(SLoCaT) and Foundation and Renewable Energy Policy Network for the 21st Century(REN21).
- Indian Component: The India Component is implemented by six consortium organisations all except SLoCaT.On behalf of the Government of India, NITI Aayog will be the implementing partner.
- NDC-TIA India Component will focus on establishing a multi-stakeholder dialogue platform for decarbonizing transport in India.
- Intended Nationally Determined Contributions(INDC): The Paris Agreement(2015) requires all Parties to put forward their best efforts to address climate change through INDC’s and to strengthen these efforts in the years ahead.
- India’s intended Nationally Determined Contributions (INDCs) under Paris Agreement:
- reduce the emissions intensity of its GDP by 33% to 35% by 2030 from 2005 level,
- increase total cumulative electricity generation from fossil free energy sources to 40% by 2030,
- Create an additional carbon sink of 2.5 to 3 billion tons through additional forest and tree cover.