- The Indian Navy has successfully test-fired a Medium Range Surface to Air Missile (MRSAM), thus, achieving a significant milestone to enhance its anti-air warfare capability.
- The test-firing of the missile was undertaken on the western seaboard by Indian naval ships Kochi and Chennai.These Surface to Air Missiles are fitted onboard the Kolkata Class Destroyers and would also be fitted on all future major warships of the Indian Navy.
- The test-firing of the missile was carried out jointly by the Indian Navy, Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) and Israel Aerospace Industries.
- The DRDO has jointly developed the missile in collaboration with Israel Aerospace Industries.The MRSAM has been manufactured by Bharat Dynamics Limited.
- The MRSAM has the capability of providing defence against air, marine and ground threats.It has several systems which include a digital radar, command and control, launchers, and interceptors with advanced homing seekers.
- This capability significantly enhances the combat effectiveness of the Indian Navy thereby providing an operational edge over potential adversaries.
6 min read