News: The population of Hard ground swamp deer (Barasingha) has increased to 800 in the Kanha National park and Tiger Reserve.
- It is the state animal of Madhya Pradesh
- IUCN Status: Vulnerable
Kanha National park and Tiger Reserve
- It is located on the Maikal range of the Satpura hills, and is spread over Mandla and Balaghat districts of Madhya Pradesh.
- It is first tiger reserve in India to officially introduce a mascot, Bhoorsingh the Barasingha
- There are three subspecies of swamp deer found in the Indian Subcontinent:
- The western swamp deer found in Nepal,
- southern swamp deer found in central and north India
- eastern swamp deer found in the Kaziranga and Dudhwa National Parks.