Skip to content
- Scientists have discovered a tiny shark in the Gulf of Mexico with mysterious pouches near its front fins.
- The shark has been named as American pocket shark.It’s scientific name is Mollisquama mississippiensis.
- The shark uses the pouches to squirt little glowing clouds into the ocean. It’s only the third shark species out of more than 500 that may squirt luminous liquid.
- The other two are the previously known pocket shark and the taillight shark which has a similar gland near its tail.
- The shark also has clusters of light-emitting cells dotted on its belly.The luminescence might conceal the shark from predators.