News: Union Ministry of New and Renewable Energy(MNRE) has put calls for proposals to the One Sun, One World, One Grid(OSOWOG) initiative on hold till further notice.
- One Sun, One World, One Grid(OSOWOG) initiative: It was proposed by India to build a global ecosystem of interconnected renewable energy resources that can be easily shared.
- Vision: The vision behind the initiative is ‘The Sun Never Sets’ and is a constant at some geographical location, globally, at any given point of time.
- Aim: To build global consensus about sharing solar resources among more than 140 countries of West Asia and South-East Asia.At a later stage, the project envisages getting this grid interconnected with the African power pools.
- Phases: The initiative is planned to be completed in three phases:
- Phase I (Middle East-South Asia-Southeast Asia(MESASEA) interconnection.
- Phase II (Solar and other Renewable Energy resources rich regions’ interconnection).
- Phase III (Global interconnection).
- Significance: An interconnected grid would help all the participating entities in attracting investments in renewable energy sources as well as utilize skills, technology and finances.