News: President of India has promulgated an ordinance to constitute a Commission for Air Quality Management in National Capital Region(NCR) and adjoining areas.
- Purpose: To tackle air pollution and to monitor and improve air quality in the National Capital Region(NCR) and adjoining areas.
- Composition: It will consist of a Chairperson, a representative from the Ministry of Environment, members from the state of Delhi, Haryana, Punjab, Uttar Pradesh and Rajasthan, technical experts from Central Pollution Control Board and Indian Space Research Organization among others.
- Functions and Powers:
- To work towards better coordination, research, identification and resolution of problems surrounding the Air Quality Index in the NCR and adjoining areas.
- It has the powers to take all such measures, issue directions and entertain complaints in order to protect and improve the quality of air in the National Capital Region and adjoining areas.
- It will also lay down the parameters for emission or discharge of environmental pollutants from various sources.
- Headquarters: Delhi.