News:Indian Prime Minister inaugurated the Gandhi Solar Park and Gandhi Peace Garden at the headquarters of the United Nations on the occasion of 150th birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi.
About Solar Park:
- Solar park is a first of its kind Indian effort at the U.N that highlights India’s willingness to go beyond the talk on climate change and climate action.
- It is a 50 kWh roof-top solar park which has 193 solar panels each representing a member of the multilateral body.
- The energy generated in the park is equivalent to energy that would have been created through the use of 30,000 kg of coal.
- The park also has a carbon sequestration of 1,000 seedlings which will grow into trees over 10 years.
About Gandhi Peace Garden:
- Gandhi Peace Garden is an initiative under which Consulate General of India in New York, Shanti Fund NGO and the State University of New York-Old Westbury have entered into an agreement to plant 150 trees.
- It is a crowdsourced project with people adopting trees in memory of their loved ones at the State University of New York-Old Westbury campus.
- The garden is dedicated in memory of Mahatma Gandhi and seeks to underline that his principles act as a moral compass as world grapples with challenges of climate change, terrorism and corruption.