- Indian Army chief has announced that the Army is planning to carry out joint training and exercise with the Indian Coast Guard.He was speaking at the commissioning of the Indian Coast Guard Ship Veera. Veera is the third ship in the series of offshore patrol vessels of the Indian Coast Guard.It was built by L&T at its shipbuilding facility at Kattupalli in Chennai.
- Veera is equipped with state-of-the-art machinery comprising an integrated bridge system which includes (a)advanced navigation (b)communication technology and (c)integrated platform management system.ICG vessel Veera will also help the coast guard monitor the maritime boundaries more effectively and add to the maritime strength of ICG.
- The army chief has also called for enhanced coastal security and has expressed satisfaction over the thrust to indigenisation and fleet augmentation under ‘Make in India’ programme.
- The Indian Coast Guard (ICG) is an armed force that protects India’s maritime interests and enforces maritime law,with jurisdiction over the territorial waters of India,including its contiguous zone and exclusive economic zone.
- The Indian Coast Guard was formally established on 18 August 1978 by the Coast Guard Act,1978 of the Parliament of India as an independent Armed force of India.It operates under the Ministry of Defence.
2 min read