News:Recently,Scientists have identified a protein called secretagon(SCGN) that can help regulate blood sugar levels in the body.
- Secretagon is a protein that in humans is encoded by SCGN gene.
- The encoded protein is secreted calcium-binding protein which is found in cytoplasm.
What were the findings?
- Scientists have found that SCGN has a functional insulin-binding protein with therapeutic potential against diabetes.
- They show that SCGN binds to insulin and protects it from various stresses, increases its stability as well as adds to its action.
- They have also shown that injection of SCGN (found at lower levels in diabetic patients) in obese diabetic mice clears excess insulin from circulation and reduces fat mass.
Significance of the findings:
- The findings are significant as various kinds of cellular stresses can result in loss of structure and function of insulin, ultimately leading to diabetes.
- Hence,these findings would soon become a diagnostic marker and one should check its potential in diabetes management.
- Diabetes is a chronic disease caused when either the pancreas does not produce enough insulin or the cells in the body do not respond properly to insulin.
- It is a non-communicable disease-non-infectious and non-transmissible one.
- There are three types of diabetes (a)Type 1 when the pancreas does not produce enough insulin (b)Type 2 -cells in the body do not respond to insulin properly and (c)Gestational Diabetes – formed during pregnancy.