News: Sree Chitra Tirunal Institute for Medical Sciences and Technology (SCTIMST) in collaboration with Agappe Diagnostics Ltd has commercially launched the Agappe Chitra Magna Kit for detection of Covid-19.
- Agappe Chitra Magna:It is a magnetic nanoparticle-based RiboNucleic Acid (RNA) extraction kit for use during testing for the detection of COVID-19.
- Application: The kit can be used for RNA extraction for RT-LAMP, RT-PCR and other isothermal and Polymerase Chain Reaction(PCR) based protocols for the detection of COVID-19.
- RNA:It is generally a one-strand molecule that copies, transcribes and transmits parts of the genetic code to proteins so they can synthetize and carry out functions that keep organisms alive and developing.
- Reverse Transcription-based Loop Mediated Isothermal Amplification (RT-LAMP):It is a technique for the amplification of RNA.It is used in the detection of viruses.In this method, a DNA copy of the viral RNA is generated by reverse transcriptase and then isothermal amplification is carried out to increase the amount of total DNA.
- Reverse Transcription Polymerase Chain Reaction(RT-PCR) Tests:It is a nuclear-derived method for detecting the presence of specific genetic material from any pathogen including a virus.